Monday, June 02, 2008

Summer reading program at the library

The girls are excited about getting started in the summer reading program today at the local library. Registration begins today, but I registered my older daughter online this past weekend with her library card. We're heading up to the library this afternoon and will get my older niece a library card. We'll enroll the two older girls along with the two younger girls and check out some books for everyone, too.

We got a jump start on checking out the books this past weekend. My older daughter got bored and asked to read some of my books, so we dashed up to the library to check out some books. I told her to pick out three or four thick books, so maybe that will keep her occupied for a while.That also gets her set up to start reading for the summer reading program!

Everyone who enrolls in the summer reading program gets a bag, a button, a pencil and a reading log to record the number of books they read! My older daughter will have a good time writing down all the books she'll be reading. They can also report online or call the library once a day with the number of chapters they've read.

They'll get a sticker (displayed on a sheet at the library) for every three chapters they read, or for each book a younger child has read to them. There are special incentives in store every week for the kids who report the number of chapters they've read! I'm expecting the two older girls to stay busy with their reading and reporting of chapters to the library every day or pretty much every day.


1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow, this sounds really exciting for the girls! They need to do something like that for grownups. I go to the library probably at least 2 times a week and I'm one of about 3 people checking out books, everyone else is on the computers! They are useful for people who need them for job searching,etc., but I see a lot of chatting. Anyway, I digress. Hope the girls enjoy the program & do lots of reading this summer! I've got a tote bag especially for my library books too & it's very useful. You'll have to give us a progress report from time to time!