Thursday, March 16, 2006

Back to school!

This afternoon was parent-teacher conference at my first grader's school, and back to the book fair for all of us!

We heard very good comments from her teacher, and got an excellent report card with high grades in both math and literacy. She had good marks for conduct and while she missed several days of school this time, there weren't any tardies! We had a little problem with tardies during the first semester of kindergarten, when I was taking her to school, but now she rides the bus and she hasn't been tardy since!

After the visit with her teacher we all went back down to the book fair and bought a few more books, including "When Marian Sings," about Marian Anderson, the first African-American opera singer.

I wanted this story because the school where Afican-American students attended before integration in my hometown was called the Marian Anderson school. By the time I came along it was the middle school (with fifth and sixth grades in the old elementary school and seventh and eighth grades in the old high school) but I never really knew the story behind the name other than she was a famous opera singer. I'm glad I know more details of her fascinating story and can share this book with my children.

My website
My writing blog
My working mom blog

No comments: