Monday, April 09, 2007

All morning at the doctor!

The girls and I spent all the morning long at the doctor's office today. It was actually two doctor's offices, as I had to take one of the girls in to see about an eye problem and then I had my regular prenatal checkup. The whole thing lasted from 9 a.m. to noon today, with much of that time spent just waiting.

My older daughter started complaining about something being in her eye yesterday afternoon, and it got really red and irritated. She didn't get much sleep last night because of it, which of course means no one else got much sleep either. (Except her sister.) Her dad wanted me to take her to the doctor this morning, so I got her an appointment at 9 a.m., right before my prenatal checkup at 10 a.m.

We got her to the doctor, and they looked at it and put some stuff in it that made her eye glow in the dark. They didn't see any foreign material but they did see a scratch. Evidently what happened was something got in her eye and scratched it. We're supposed to put medicine in it and cover it with an eye bandage until tomorrow morning, and the doctor wants to see her back in the morning.

We got out of there in record time, in time to get to my doctor's office in time for my 10 a.m. appointment. We sat out in the waiting room for over an hour, and then in the exam room for at least 15 minutes before I was seen. Of course it only took one minute for the doctor to examine me after we'd waited for so long.

The exam revealed that I'm dilated between 1 and 2, which is typical for me. I started dilating four weeks before both of my other children were born. My blood pressure is excellent and the baby's heart rate is wonderful. I won't mention anything about my weight gain but it is right in line with what I weighed two weeks from delivery with my other two children!

We went back out to the waiting room to wait for another appointment, and it was noon before we left. We were there for two hours for a one-minute exam. Goodness.

How's that for an adventurous morning?

1 comment:

Nell said...

I can totally relate to your day. I remember too many times when my OBGYN appointments left me waiting that long.

One time I walked in and they said the doctor was delivering a baby and to have a seat and wait!

Sorry you daughter has a painful scratch on her eye...I hope it heals up fast!