Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Filling out school applications

The girls will be going to new schools in the fall so this week I'm filling out applications for them to go to the public elementary school right around the corner from our new house.

It's unbelievable all the paperwork needed to enter school these days. For the child who will enter second grade, there is a one-page sheet mainly for information purposes and a lunch form disclosing family income to apply for free/reduced price meals. Of course they need to see proof that she has been immunized, but that is all simple enough.

The time-consuming part is applying for pre-kindergarten for the other child. They need to see shot records, social security card, Medicaid/Arkids1st card, proof of residency, proof of income, and the meal form. I guess I should be used to it since we needed all that to apply for head start here; they also had to have proof of physical and dental examinations.

I'm trying to get all this in this week; the older child will get into school of course, but it's the younger one I'm worried about. We are probably over income for this program, and she doesn't have any factors like speech problems or low birth weight that would give her preference. She IS four years old, and that is one thing in her favor.

Well, at least I can say I tried!

My website
My writing blog
My working mom blog

No comments: