Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Growing up

There were the days when it was all I could do to restrain myself from jumping for joy when people looked at my beautiful daughters wistfully and said, "Enjoy them now. They don't stay little long." I'm starting to see the truth in those words.

Just the other night I was watching "Father of the Bride" for the first time in a long time, and it struck me how young Kimberly Williams looked, although it was she that was the 22-year-old bride-to-be. I realized that in just 15 or so short years, I'll be Steve Martin looking at my beautiful daughter, seeing a little eight-year-old in ponytails telling me she's getting married.

The first few years of my daughter's life seemed so long, but now I know that 15 years will have passed before I know it. I'm already starting to see proof of it. This child of mine who's feet don't grow is now working on her fifth pair of shoes since school started. That equates to a new pair a month! That's unreal for her. After she got dressed this morning, her shirt sleeve was way up over her wrist and her pants were way too short. I hit my favorite store for an armload of long-sleeved shirts.

My second daughter is growing, too, since she immediately gets everything her sister has outgrown although they are nearly two-and-a-half years apart in age. Pretty soon I'm going to be looking at her and her sister right in the eyes, radiant young women who were just children yesterday. I'll be the one in the store looking longingly at the wee tykes and telling their distressed mothers to enjoy them because they'll be grown tomorrow.

My website
My writing blog
My working mom blog

No comments: